Frequently Asked Question for Car Accident Victims

If you were involved in an accident but didn’t suffer any injuries or damages, you may not need an attorney’s help. However, if you or someone you love has suffered injuries due to another’s person negligence, you may need an attorney to protect your rights. Insurance companies are in business to make money, and sometimes they deny valid claims and try to push early and unjust settlements on innocent accident victims. They may use low-ball offers to drag out claims until you settle. If you’ve been hurt in an accident, the personal injury attorneys at DeVaughn James are here to help. Contact us at (316) 888-8888 or complete a free consultation form.

The Kansas personal injury attorneys at DeVaughn James work on a contingency fee basis, which means that we don’t get paid unless you get paid. With the contingency fee, people who may not be able to afford an attorney can have access to the court system.

Yes. Local police departments routinely investigate the circumstances and causes of car crashes when completing an accident report, and they know what information is important. Insurance adjusters, lawyers, judges, and juries rely on police reports to help determine what happened in a car crash.

Yes. At the very least, you’ll need to confirm the type of coverage you have with your insurance provider. Sometimes the other person’s insurance company is difficult to deal with or delays in paying for vehicle repairs, medical bills, rental expenses, and other expenses.

Working with your own insurance company can help you recover faster from a car crash. If the crash was not your fault, a claim with your own insurance company should not affect your rates.

If the driver who caused the accident doesn’t have insurance, it may mean that he or she can’t pay you directly for all the damages and losses caused by the accident. Under Kansas law, drivers are required to have insurance to protect themselves in this kind of situation.

If the driver responsible for your accident doesn’t have insurance, you may need legal help.

Your car insurance comes with underinsured motorist coverage (UIM). This kind of coverage is designed to help you if the at-fault driver doesn’t have enough insurance coverage. Presenting UIM claims can be tricky because it involves not just knowledge of personal injury law, but insurance law as well.

If you have a UIM claim, the Kansas personal injury lawyers at DeVaughn James can help.

Health Insurance – Your health insurance coverage may pay for some or all of your medical bills.

Medical Payments Coverage – You may have this as a part of your car insurance policy. This coverage helps pay for your crash-related bills for you and any passengers in your vehicle. This type of coverage will rarely cover all your bills.

The At-Fault Driver’s Insurance – If the at-fault driver is found to be responsible for your accident, he or she may be held financially liable for your injuries.

Kansas law requires that if a person is found negligent he or she may be held financially responsible for your damages, such as pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life.

The at-fault party may also be held responsible for compensatory damages, such as:

Medical expenses, out-of-pocket costs, lost wages, loss of income capacity, loss of household services, and more.

Yes. When someone chooses to drive while impaired from the use of alcohol or drugs and he or she injures someone else, he or she should expect to be held responsible for the damages inflicted.