At a minimum weight of 60,000 lbs., the disaster caused by a semi-truck can be enormous, which means that there is very little room for error when operating such a mammoth vehicle. Yet, in 2012, almost 4000 fatalities in road accidents were attributed to semi-truck mishaps. Of course, nobody is saying that all trucking companies are poorly run but many are known to cut corners in ways that endanger the lives of other drivers on the road.
As you grapple with the injuries, medical bills, loss of income and property damage after a semi-trucking accident, don’t be surprised if the trucking company and their insurance providers are utterly apathetic to your woes. And, this is one of the prime reasons why everybody who drives on the road should know what to do after an accident with a semi-truck.
Get a Lawyer on your team!
Unlike regular car crashes, semi-truck accidents are serious business with compensation possibly running into hundreds of thousands of dollars and even millions. So, it is obvious that insurance companies go out of their way to shift the blame for the mishap.
There are over 1000 federal regulations and rules that apply to the operations of trucking companies and these can be used against them in a court of law. However, trucks on the road are covered by various levels of insurance, depending on the company that owns the vehicles, the establishment that carries out the maintenance work on the trucks and the type of cargo that is hauled.
A knowledgeable attorney will be able to investigate the case thoroughly. The extent of the monetary damage awarded to the plaintiff will largely depend on proving that most of the responsibility for the accident lies with the operator of the vehicle or the trucking company. An able lawyer will quickly uncover if:
- The accident was caused due to driver fatigue: An investigation of the operator log books, food and fuel receipts and toll receipts will all be used to find out if the driver took the prescribed breaks before the mishap.
- A poorly maintained vehicle was to blame for the crash: Your attorney will also find out if the trucking company exercised diligence when it came to vehicle maintenance. The commercial establishments that operate these vehicles are obligated to ensure that their trucks are in top shape; after all, faulty brakes on a semi-truck can quickly turn the vehicle into a killing machine on a busy freeway.
- The driver was being reckless: Many trucks have GPS systems installed which provide information on the speed of the vehicle and the actions of the operator at the time of the mishap and your lawyer will ensure that he gets access to this data.
- The operator has other traffic violations: A checkered driving past means that the driver has the propensity to disobey safe driving protocols and traffic rules. It is the responsibility of the trucking company to ensure that they only hire operators with safe driving records.
- The trucking company is in violation of safety regulations: It is not unusual to find logistic companies who deliberately ignore safety norms when loading cargo into trucks just to make a few extra bucks.
Remember that while you are recuperating at home or are fighting for your life in the hospital, the coverage providers of the trucking company will be quick to send their representatives to the crash site in a bid to minimize the blame on the operator and to transfer it on your shoulders. The longer you wait, the more time you give them to destroy vital records and evidence and turn the case against you.
Let an experienced attorney tackle the murky waters of compensation for you!
Our lawyers have years of experience fighting cases for plaintiffs who have been in an accident with a semi-truck. We know how to dig for the right answers and how to compel the trucking companies and the defense team to offer those answers.
We do not let them destroy crucial evidence because as soon as we start working on the case we send a spoliation letter to the trucking company, making it clear that they have been given a notice to preserve all information that may be linked to the accident in any way. Our experienced team will study the case meticulously to find out who can be held responsible for the mishaps and the resultant injuries and damage.
Your attorney will handle all negotiations on your behalf and we never settle for less than the compensation that our client is entitled to receive. We will help you to put your life back on track after an accident with a semi-truck.
No, we cannot undo the pain and impact that the mishap has had on your life but DeVaughn James Injury Lawyer’s will do our absolute best to ensure that you are not left struggling with hefty medical bills and compromised earning abilities just because the insurance company on the other side chooses to not pay you the compensation that is rightfully yours.